Projects and Activities
Our Kiwanis club participates in a variety of projects throughout the year that involve fundraising, community service, and assisting children locally and worldwide. Additionally, we have speakers at our weekly meetings to explore topics of interest to the membership. We engage in a number of social activities to share experiences, talents and our collective interests. All represent great opportunities for service, friendships and personal growth.
Below are the projects and activities in which we are currently involved:
- Kid Care - We Care! When Union County Family Connection identifies local children in need of items such as clothing, our club is contacted. Those items are purchased and given to Family Connection for distribution.
- Teddy Bear Project - Teddy bears are donated to UCGH, Union EMS, fire and police departments to be given to young children in emergency situations.
- BUG - Bring Up Grades is a program designed to provide recognition to 4th grade UCES students who raise their grades into an acceptable range and maintain or continue to raise them from one grading period to the next.
- Kiwanis One Day - Kiwanis members serve their communities all year long. But the excitement for service really builds in October each year when Kiwanis members come together for Kiwanis One Day... a day of community service that is felt around the world.
- Golf Tournament - This annual event is our major fundraiser. It is usually held in October.
- Pancake Breakfast - Another annual fundraiser, usually held in springtime.
- 30 Guns in 30 Days - Fundraiser. All proceeds benefit the children of Union County.
- Sorghum Festival - This event is held on the 2nd and 3rd weekends in October. Our Kiwanis Club, along with Circle K and Key Club, make and sell homemade pork skins, boiled peanuts, and ice cream.
- Special Olympics - We support the events held in late November or early December at UCHS, usually by cooking and serving lunch.
- Pinewood Derby - Scouts race their cars down a track at the Rubber Gym in April. We assist with check-in, vehicle inspection, and judging.
- HS Football - We work the concession stand at UCHS one Friday during football season.
- Halloween on the Square - Community celebration of Halloween where treats are given out to the children.
- Road Race - 5K run/walk at Meeks Park in April. Members assist with registration.
- Harlem Ambassadors Basketball Game - Event is set for Feb. 28, 2017.
- Club Picnic - Fun for members, guests, and their families.
- Christmas Dinner - Celebrate the season with friends and families.